Venison Quest

Meg wanted venison for Thanksgiving. She will host a TG day dinner at Reed this year. She is home on fall break for a week. One of her goals was to get venison for her feast.

So Mark and Meg went on a quest to get some venison. Meg and Wink think Mark pays too much attention to detail. Mark washed his and Megís camo gear in dirt smelling soap. He also showered in soap that attempts to reduce human odor. Because Meg didnít have camo pants, she ended up in a zuit suit. They also sprayed non-scent spray in their mouths. She complained about feeling like a marshmallow. Iíll let you be the judge.


So we headed out Monday night just as a cold front was passing through. Sunset was at about 6:42 PM local and one is allowed to hunt deer until one half hour past sunset.

We walked to the stand about 4:00 PM and were situated about 4:30 PM. The wind was out of the Northeast but not consistent. Meg took some pictures to set the scene. We sat a two person stand looking West over a soybean field.




It was very quiet for about two hours. There was a heron in the river behind us. The bird spooked and made quite a commotion taking off. There were small birds and squirrels nearby. A flock of geese flew over us in a very agitated state. I thought I heard gun shots of bird hunters North of us. I suspected that was what spooked the geese. Geese arenít in season until this weekend.

The rut is on. We havenít seen any adult bucks yet this season. But there are scrapes and signs of territorial activity. So there was good deer sign on the hunting ground.

Right around sunset we heard some turkeys headed toward us from the North. Meg asked if I had a turkey tag, which I affirmed I did. But the turkeys didnít pass beneath us. Meg took a picture of the sunset for your enjoyment.




Turns out all the scent elimination efforts werenít required. A doe and a fawn passed under the tree stand just around sunset when Meg had said she didnít think we would see anything. I made a doe call to stop the doe and she stopped and looked for the source of the sound. So I shot her. It was a pretty good hit. She ran into the soybeans and laid down where Meg could see her. We waited a few minutes and I wanted to get the arrow to see how good a hit it was. She spotted me getting out of the tree stand and ran another fifty yards before laying down again. We should have just waited and she would have bled out and been easy to recover. So I laid down on the ground out of sight and we waited.

Meg eventually got down and we looked for the arrow. We never found it. Meg found a good blood trail. So I went off to get the car and Meg started to follow the blood trail after full dark with a flashlight. Meg was able to follow the blood trail for about 300 yards. The deer was still alive when Meg got close to her but was only able to run a few yards to the edge of an embankment. She tumbled over the embankment when I brought the car up. Meg was trying to warn me off when I drove up. So we went down the embankment to recover the doe and we had to finish her off as she went into the river.



Field Dressing

We field dressed her down by the river, but she was too heavy to carry up the embankment. We tied a rope to her back legs and hauled her up with the car. We loaded her into the car and drove home. We packer her with ice at a gas station. She spent the night on the garage floor with more ice.

She was a fully mature doe and was still lactating. She was so tough I had to use the bone saw to open her up. I havenít had to do that on a doe before, only the bucks.


She was dropped off at the meat locker for processing this morning. So Meg has her venison.

Her only comment was she was disappointed we got the venison on the first try as she enjoys the father-daughter time.



Mark and Meg